Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Newsletter Article - Doing Nothing


          When was the last time you woke up in the morning without a plan for the day? When was the last time you sat in your home and did nothing? For many of you I suspect is has been a very long time. It has been too long perhaps.
            Though it goes against the American work ethic, against our sense of achievement and development, doing nothing on occasion is a really wonderful thing. Let me be clear, when I say “doing nothing,” I mean literally not having a single obligation. It’s not taking a class or doing your chores. It’s putting aside that never-ending list of have-to’s to do whatever the moment calls you to.
            Somehow the day of Sabbath has been largely lost in contemporary America. Dedicating a day to rest and renewal isn’t an easy thing to do when the world around you whirls on in its rapid pace seven days a week. I do my best to take either Saturday or Friday completely off from work. I succeed in doing that about two-thirds of the time. I know many of you come to church on Sunday’s as a moment to recharger. Then you gather for a meeting or whisk off to activities with your children and grandchildren. Or you return home to tackle the list of chores. Certainly, the sense of productivity is admirable. But you need more than an hour or two at church to recharge. You need to unplug from your commitments on occasion, weekly even.
            I know the voice in your head tells you “daylight is burning, this mess isn’t going to clean itself up, my kids are looking forward to this adventure, I NEED to get a jump on the work week.” Well this month I give you permission, I give you homework to do nothing on occasion. My friends we live in paradise. Take a moment and enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment